A blog focusing on politics in Central Illinois.

Sunday, January 23, 2005

The power of blogs

In the comments on the City Council cattle call our District 7 County Board Member Bryan Smith said:
"I really have trouble with this one. In the past couple of years I've had a couple of "neighborhood issues" and have written letters to the Mayor and the entire city council. The first issue I got NO RESPONSE from ANYONE and the second issue ONLY Councilwoman Stockard called and responded as to the course of action to take. Is kind of disapointing when the elected council members don't even respond."
I agree we have a breakdown in communiations between our city council members and ourselves. But, this isn't the only level of government that we have breakdowns in communications. We have them on the county level, the state level, and the federal level. The answer should be cheap, fast, efficent ways to offer two way communications. And, as you might have realized Bryan left this message with me a few hours ago, and I'm already proposing a solution. I believe blogs are one way to provide cheap, fast, and efficent ways of two way communications. I think Mayor Lightner will be able to go further on this, and possibly experiment with it, so I say lets have fun with this Mayor, let's see if it can work. Blogs for candidates can be remarkably unbelievable and furthering both the candidate and his supporters e.g. Governor Dean's blog in his recent run for the presidency, but they can also be clearing houses for press releases e.g. Senator Obama's blog post DNC Speech. However, I don't know what they could do for office holders as a ways of maintaing effective communications, anyone care to find out? Leave your thoughts.