A blog focusing on politics in Central Illinois.

Wednesday, March 16, 2005

H & R on Social Security - Just Make It Up

I, as usual, opened up todays Herald & Review eagerly anticipating the derth of news this morning, and saw a headline that made me think wow looks like the H & R has a story I've read no where else, or someone is just making up headlines. The headline was Both parties agree Social Security needs help. So then I read it and realized their idea of agreeing Social Security needs help is the one paragraph where the Senate agreed that "strengthening Social Security was a vital national priority." ,and by one paragraph, I mean half a sentence. I guess they were struggling to come up with a headline that accurately portarys this 5 Republican Senators side with Democrats in saying Bush is %^&#*(% Nuts. Seriously in an article that devoted almost the entirety of its copy to talking about how 5 Republican Senators sided with the ENTIRE Democratic Senate Caucus in adopting a resolution that states "Congress should reject any Social Security plan that requires deep benefit cuts or a massive increase in debt.", an apt title would have even been Half of US Senate rejects Bush privatization plan. But no, they just made up something that stretches almost as far as it can go, the truth. If you asked anyone in the know if Both parties agree Social Security needs help was the main thing coming out of the Senate yesterday they would LAUGH at you. I guess this is what happens when your editor starts pushing the Heritage Foundation's agenda. I don't even know what to say. I'll be back on this later, but for now I'm just in disbelief.